Frequently Asked Questions
Yes we supply our build manual on a USB stick with your body and chassis kit. You will also get a password once you have secured your kit manufacture date with us to our members only area, which has the AK 427 build manual with video clips with hints and tips on every stage of the build. We are available by phone or email should you require any technical advice throughout your build.
The body is made from glass fibre. We use a very high quality glass and resin which ensures that our bodies achieve very smooth lines with no sags, bumps or ripples. The bodies are as a standard finished in a mid grey gel colour. You do have the option for a small additional cost at your initial kit order stage to have a second gel coat colour, second coat gel is only advised if you do not wish to have the car painted at the end of the build. Gel coats are available in a vast range of RAL colours. Please note however that the body will require a good amount of prepping before being ready to use on the road finished. It will be supplied to you straight from the mould complete with flash lines that will need to be rubbed down sanded and polished. Below is the AK body in mid-grey.
Below shows the range of gel coat colour options.
No it is not a necessity that the body be painted. We offer the body at your initial kit order stage with an additional coat of gel finish in a vast array of colours for a small additional charge. This is commonly used for cars being built on a tight budget or that are going to be used on the track. The second gel coat colour will save you paying money for paint that is likely to acquire many chips if being used on the track. Please note however that the gel coat finish will never look as good as a paint finish and can only be offered in a solid colour, so no metallic or pearl finishes are available. Vinyl stripes, roundels and numbers can be added direct to the prepared gel coat body if you so desire.
All the AK 427 chassis’ are designed and manufactured with a super strong ladder design. All have full steel lowered floors and are powder coated in black as standard, however for a small additional cost your chassis can be powder coated in a choice of colours.
The standard chassis is based on utilising the axles from the Jaguar xjs/xj6 post 1974. It has the inner rear brake set up and uses 6 sets of shocks and springs, 2 front and 4 on the rear. This standard chassis is heavier than both the generation II and the generation III chassis. VIEW THE STANDARD CHASSIS KIT HERE
The generation II chassis was created to utilise the axles from the later Jaguar xj40 1986- 2003. Jaguar had moved onto using outboard rear brake discs, making it far easier to change the rear brake discs than the standard Jaguar xj6/ xjs based chassis which still has the inboard rear discs. It also has the benefit of only requiring 4 shocks and springs, 2 front and 2 rear, wheras the standard chassis uses 6 shocks. The generation ii chassis is also lighter in weight compared to the standard chassis ak manufacture the tubular wishbones on both the front and rear giving better handling over the standard chassis. VIEW THE GEN II CHASSIS KIT HERE
The Generation III “Supalite” was designed to excel on both the track and road. Whilst it still utilises the axle components from the xj40 Jaguar like the generation II, the generation III “supalite” chassis is designed with a full tubular backbone running from front to back which has enabled it to be much lighter and stiffer to increase its handling skills. We have ensured that whilst the car has a stiffer chassis for superb track handling it is still a great car to use for touring too. VIEW THE GEN III SUPALITE KIT HERE
You will require the Jaguar donor axles and reconditioning parts. Engine and gearbox, clutch, brake and fuel lines and components, a cooling system, steering system and exhaust system. Windscreen and brightwork, cockpit instruments, steering wheel and switches, lights, interior and wheels and tyres. Many of these parts are available from AK and those that we do not stock we offer you a suggested supplier list advising which parts we recommend and where to buy them from.
Yes we can build the car to any stage for you before delivery. For those not mechanically confident we offer a rolling chassis option as standard for both the generation II and the generation III. We can build the car to any stage of completion for you. VIEW OUR KITS PAGE AND SELECT GEN II OR GEN III FOR MORE INFORMATION
Generation III rolling chassis complete with engine and gearbox pre fitted
- AK 427 Generation II Cobra Body and Chassis Kit
- Reclaimed serviced/overhauled Jaguar XJ40 running gear front and back all finished in satin black with factory fitted wishbone bushes.
- Exchanged front and rear callipers all will be plated
- Power Steering Rack
- Engine bay clad in stainless steel
- Set of 4 shocks and springs (adjustable ride height and damping)
- Brake lines all fitted using BS copper brake pipe also s/s brake flexies to front & rear callipers. Set of 3 handbrake cables.
- 14 gallon fuel tank
- Fuel line fitted from tank to the engine
- Cooling system complete with new 3 core ali radiator plumbed into AK stainless steel header tank, 16” Pacet fan and stat.
- Body shell will be temporarily fitted to the chassis with the bonnet and doors pre-hung
- Slave Wheels (to be supplied by customer)
Yes we produce 6 factory builds a year. The car can be built around your specification and there are many options on parts that can be discussed prior to you placing your order. Please contact the AK team to discuss the factory build package on 01733 267633 or VIEW MORE INFORMATION HERE
- AK Generation II chassis (Generation III chassis extra) finished in satin black powder coating (Other colours available extra)
- Reconditioned/serviced Jaguar XJ40 running gear with fully rebuilt 3.54 differential (Fully rebuilt power lock diff extra)
- Dual circuit servo assisted braking system consisting of copper brake lines to British Standard and stainless flexible hoses, single pot floating calipers with vented discs, single pot outboard rear calipers to solid discs (Brake upgrade extra)
- AK pedal box
- Two Gaz shock absorbers to front with adjustable rebound damping and spring platforms fitted with quality 450 lb rated springs – (Nitron option extra)
- Two Gaz shock absorbers to rear with adjustable rebound damping and spring platforms fitted with quality 450 lb rated springs – (Nitron options extra)
- AK’s power steering rack
- AK’s power steering rack with twin U/J rack to column extension
- BMW E34 steering column with AK’s turned S/S end finishers to stalks
- 430 BHP LS3 Chevy (6.2 litre) – Please ask about any further options available.
- Canems ECU System
- Hydraulically operated clutch – (Clutch servo extra) or (Twin plate clutch extra)
- Tremec TKX 5 speed gearbox and fully balanced prop- shaft (Auto box extra)
- AK ali 3-core radiator
- 16” high volume fan with adjustable capillary fan activating switch
- AK stainless steel header tank
- Silicone hoses throughout available in either blue or black
- Single speed heater to stainless steel demist vents
Wheels and tyres
- Image Hallibrand 17” CHB replicas with spinners. Silver OR black with matt OR gloss centers and rims OR polished rims. 7.5” front 9” rear fitted with tyres 225/50/17 front and 255/45/17 rear – (Other sizes available 15”,16” or 18” extra)
- LS3 headers to custom made catalytic converters to quad collectors on AK 5” side pipes OR underfloor exhausts all in stainless steel – (AK’s LS S/S Headers extra) ( Exhaust escutcheon plates extra)
- Hand laid up GRP gel coated body consisting of one x 1.5 oz, 1 x 2 oz glass and 1 x 2mm coremat and tissue, 125 degree resin used throughout, engine bay fitted with polished stainless steel cladding to bulkhead OR colour co-ordinated painted engine bay, foot wells and inner wheel arches
- Full cockpit tub and inner boot integral with body to form monocoque construction
- Scuttle hoop bonded into body and bolted through chassis
- Stainless steel single splitter wing to radiator intake – (Triple splitter wing extra)
- Standard dash board OR the traditional dashboard option.
- Standard exterior boot hinge option – (Internal option extra)
- Standard Bonnet Scoop – (Small rivet on or Supercharge scoop extra)
- Flat transmission tunnel (Curved tunnel extra)
- (Door escutcheon plates extra)
- (Triple aluminum or glass nose vents extra)
- Tinted laminate screen in chrome on brass surround with centre stay and escutcheons.
- Front and rear over-riders – (Nudge bars or jack lifters extra)
- Single driver stainless steel roll bar with body escutcheons – (Triple leg roll bar extra. Passenger roll bar 2 or 3 legged extra)
- Twin windscreen wipers – (Triple wipers extra)
- Windscreen washer jets fed from stainless steel LS washer bottle
- Sun-visors (blue, smoke or green depending on colour of car)
- Toughened glass wind wings with chrome on brass fittings
- Bonnet locks and boot lock with matching keys
- Quad optic or P700 headlight units (LED option extra)
- Lucas indicators (orange or white lens) & Side repeaters in orange or white
- Lucas stop taillights and rear reflectors
- Chrome number plate light
- Frenched in rear fog light and reversing light OR both left un-fitted but supplied for MOT testing
- Badges: Front: AK, Rear: Cobra emblem badge
- Polished Stoneguards OR Clear vinyl stone guards
- Stainless steel side vents
- External chrome boot hinge – (Not supplied when opting for internal boot hinges)
- 3.5” Monza lockable fuel filler cap frenched into driver’s side rear wing (Twin filler extra)
- Bonnet and boot fitted with gas rams
- Body painted by AK’s Painters – Standard car colour of your choice (Stripes, roundels and some paints, e.g. House of Kolor are extra)
- Standard leather interior – (Deluxe option which includes leather rear bulkhead extra)
- Seats tall or standard, door panels (with pockets), dashboard, gear lever and handbrake gator and seat belt mitts in leather with piping. With your centre tunnel carpet in leather binding to match.
- Jaguar quality black carpet (Blue, green or burgundy wool carpet extra)
- Three-point Willans seat belts – available in black, blue or red (Lucas grey extra)
- (Seat runners extra)
- Instruments – All Smith’s Classic Range (Flight range with optional coloured leds extra)
Time clock (Not supplied when opting for the traditional dashboard)
- Switches to be illuminated round brushed aluminium Savage range and consisting of:
Battery Cut off switch
Cigarette lighter OR USB point
- Alloy gear lever knob
- Chrome gear lever ring to suit shape of your transmission tunnel
- Chrome AK handbrake lever handle
- Mountney ‘M’ range leather steering wheel (Wooden or Moto Lita steering wheel extra)
- Collapsible boss
- Immobiliser fitted (Tracker extra)
- Interior scuttle mirror
- Driver and passenger mirrors, body mounted
- Silent travel period door locks
- (Hood, tonneau cover or hardtop extra)
Vehicle will be put through the UK’s Vehicle Inspectorate Low Volume Scheme, registered and taxed for 6 months.
Optional Upgrades & Extras for AK 427 Factory builds- @ JAN 22:
- Upgrade to Generation III Chassis
- Upgrade to LS 7 (505 – 635 bhp) Engine
- Upgrade to Jenvey throttle bodies
- Twin Plate Clutch
- Power Lock Diff (FULLY RECON)
- AK 1 7/8” Stainless Headers ( LS7 engine)
- AK 1 ¾” Stainless Headers ( LS3 engine)
- Black Ceramic Side Pipes
- Black Ceramic Headers
- Passenger Roll Bar ( Two leg)
- Upgrade to 3 legged Roll Bar (on drivers side)
- Passenger Roll Bar ( Three leg)
- Stripes on Paintwork
- Front Anti Roll Bar
- 15” Wheels and Tyres
- 18” Wheels and Tyres
- Le Mans Style Hard Top
- Hood and Tonneau Cover
- Tonneau Only
- Lower Body Wings
- Triple Ali Nose Vents
- Triple glass nose vents
- Small Rivet on Scoop
- Interior Boot Hinges
- Curved Centre Transmission Tunnel
- Upgrade to Deluxe Interior ( Inc rear bulkhead)
- Wool Carpet in Blue, Green, Burgundy ETC
- Upgrade to include heated seats
- Upgrade to leather topped centre tunnel
- Upgrade for Diamond stitching on leather
- Big Brake Upgrade 15″ to 17”
- Big Brake Upgrade 18”
- Nitron Shocks and Springs
- Triple Stainless Splitter Wing
- Mocal Oil Cooler & Fittings
- 2 x Cobra 427 Side Badges
- Nudge Bars front & Rear
- Upgrade to Flight Instruments
- LED Headlights – Upgrade
- Door Hinge Escutcheon Plates fitted
- Drivers side Seat Runner
- Wooden Steering Wheel
The average build will take around 400 hours. this is from start to on the road, including the time taken to strip and recondition the donor parts.
No you do not need the whole jaguar car. Please see the list of donor parts you will require based on which chassis option you decide on. The axles are available in the raw form straight from the Jaguar through our suppliers for you to recondition in your garage should you not wish to source them yourself. Once you have your own donor axles then AK will require a few of the old parts from your Jaguar donor which are required for exchange on the day of your collection or delivery of your kit for the new reconditioned parts. Alternatively we also offer the axles fully reconditioned for you to fit straight to your chassis.
Parts we require from your donor axles for exchange generation II and III only:
JAGUAR POST 1974 (VENTILATED FRONT DISCS) XJ6 Series 2 and 3 and XJS
FRONT AXLE (Get scrap yard to cut off car complete front subframe, also cut through spring coils)
V12 UP TO HE = 3.07
4.2 MANUAL = 3.31
3.4 ALL = 3.54
V12 AFTER HE = 2.88
4.2 AUTO = 3.058
XJS ALL UP TO HE = 3.07
XJS AFTER HE = 2.88
REAR AXLE (Complete on subframe)
RATIOS 3.54, 3.31, 3.07, 2.88
Ratios depending on engine gearbox fitted (see our website for gear speed ratio calculator)
- HANDBRAKE ASSEMBLY (or new item from Jaguar)
BMW E34 (Series 5 and 7) (PRE AIRBAG)- THE AIR BAG VERSIONS CAN NOW BE MODIFIED TO USE
- ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN (including ignition key and steering wheel, although these items will not be used. Top spline has a nut fixing for wheel boss)
ROVER MK3 200 or Rover 25 SERIES (1995-2005)
- SERVO AND MASTER CYLINDER (AK PEDAL BOX)
POLO Mk 2- Alternatively you can use a new universal compact heater.
JAGUAR XJ40/X300 & X308 1986-2003 (Outboard Rear Discs)
- FRONT AXLE (Bottom wishbones, uprights, hubs, discs and calipers)
- REAR AXLE (Complete on subframe)
- RATIOS 3.27/3.54/3.58:1
AK require front bottom wishbones and uprights for modification (exchange)
AK require drive shafts for modification (exchange)
- HANDBRAKE Assembly (or new item from Jaguar)
BMW E34 (Series 5 and 7) (PRE AIRBAG)- THE AIR BAG VERSION CAN NOW BE MODIFIED TO USE
- ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN
(including ignition key and steering wheel, although these items will not be used. Top spline has a nut fixing for wheel boss)
ROVER MK3 200 or Rover 25 SERIES (1995-2005)
- SERVO AND MASTER CYLINDER (AK PEDAL BOX)
You can use an array of V8 engines from the rover, 350 chevy, ford windsor and cleveland and more commonly the chevy ls engines the ls3 430 bhp and 480 bhp, the ls3 also has the options of a supercharger adding around an extra 150 bhp or jenvey throttle bodies which change the look of the engine to more of an old school look and increase the bhp by around 30 bhp. Finally, the brutal power of the ls 7 engine offering around 600+ bhp. For factory build car’s we as manufacturers are restricted to using the ls engines in order to comply with current uk emissions. This does not apply to amateur builds, so if you are doing a self build then your emissions test will be based on the year of your used engine block. All old block engines will be required to have an engine dating certificate from your engine supplier.
Chevy LS3 WITH JENVEY THROTTLE BODIES
Chevy LS3 WITH SUPERCHARGER
For the smaller BHP engines (ie those under 350 bhp) you can use a reconditioned Getrag gearbox from BMW or Jaguar although these are now becoming rarer to find. We recommend the Tremec TKO 500, TKX, T56 Magnum or TKO 600 gearboxs and these are required for the higher powered engines. Automatic gearboxes can also be used.
We have a number of clients at 6’5” who are comfortable in the drivers seat. We have alternative options available to taller clients including an extended foot pedal and the use of different seats which can offer that little bit extra on leg space.
Yes we produce many LHD kits and factory built cars for the worldwide market. It is however very expensive to convert an existing finished RHD car to a LHD so if you are considering building a car and also planning to move abroad this could be worth considering from the beginning of the build.
LEFT HAND DRIVE AK 427 BUILT FOR A CLIENT IN DUBAI
The average lead time for a body and chassis kit is around 16 weeks. Factory build cars are normally in the region of a 6- 8 month lead time.
A £500 deposit secures your kit manufacture/collection date and the final balance payment for a kit or rolling chassis is due on or before the agreed collection/delivery date. Factory build costs are split over 3 staged payment dates throughout the build after the initial £500 deposit is paid, the final payment on completion of the car.
We always recommend a factory visit where you will be welcomed to have a full factory tour and weather dependent, a passenger ride in one of our company demonstrator cars. We can then discuss with you all the different body and chassis options and offer you a kit manufacture date to suit your build start date. If a factory visit is not a possibility we would be happy to talk you through the list of options shown on our kit order form to ensure your body and chassis are manufactured exactly to your wishes. Order form below, click to view larger version for printing.
Yes, so long as you adhere to the parts that we recommend and fit them as advised then your finished car will pass the test. AK offer a service to carry out a full IVA pre test and can prepare and present your car for the IVA test procedure for you. Please contact the AK team for details on 01733 267633.
No a moderate tool kit will be adequate for the car build.
The ride quality is suitable for every day use, long distance, touring and track events. With fully adjustable shock absorbers the ride quality can be altered by changing the damper settings in a matter of minutes from comfortable road settings to track day settings.
Yes we can, based on your exact specification for your car. However, we do offer a more cost effective option for you, by utilising our suggested suppliers list,we are giving you the choice to source your parts with our suppliers direct. With some parts where we can offer you the parts cheaper than you going direct, you will find the costs for those parts on our AK price list. We recommend you purchase small range of standard nuts and bolts in various sizes. AK will supply you with the initial specialist fasteners you will require in your body and chassis nut and bolt kit.
We have compiled 9 comprehensive packages for you to consider if you do not wish to source the components yourself. VIEW THESE HERE
Yes the AK has adequate ground clearance for road calming devices and ferry loading ramps. The side pipe exhaust option will offer you slightly more ground clearance over the underfloor exhaust system so this is also worth considering if you have a steep drive way.
The costs of course will depend on the specification you choose to build the car to. An average customer will spend in the region of £48000 on their build. Budget builds can be achieved for as little as in the early 40’s whilst budget blowers can spend into the late 50’s on their builds.
We would expect the following averages. Rover v8 – 25 mpg, 350 chevy 16-18 mpg, Ford cleveland and windsors 16-18 mpg, Chevy ls3’s – 24 mpg and the chevy ls7 – 20-22 mpg.
Once you have mastered the technique then you should have no problems. We expect you will have this conquered by attempt number 3. The art is in holding your body weight on your arms on the rear bulkhead near the roll bar before ensuring that both your legs are in the footwell ready for your bottom to be dropped into the seat. Getting out is as easy, only noting to avoid the end finishers (this is last 6 inches of the exhaust barrel) if you opted to fit the side pipe exhaust system. The rest of the exhaust barrel although warm is not hot enough to burn due to the specialist exhaust lagging we use in the main barrel of the side pipe.
Yes we have many clients who use the AK 427 as their daily drive. Many of these clients have the removable hard top for the winter months which has the added benefit of a heated rear screen. Air conditioning can also be fitted for cars travelling to hotter climates. Heated seats are available as an added extra for your winter cruising.
We have three devices that can be fitted to the AK 427.
1. A tonneau cover which allows the car’s interior cockpit to be covered, this takes less than a minute to fit with two people.
2. A factory fitted hood which can be stored in 3 main components in the car’s boot and takes an average of 2 minutes for 2 people to erect.
3. The removable le mans style hardtop which has a lifting tailgate for you to access the boot lid, this takes around 2 minutes with two people to secure to the car. Both the hood and the hardtop have removable side screens with sliding windows which can be stored in the boot.
The AK Tonneua Cover
The AK Hood
The AK Le Mans style hardtop
The AK Hardtop (boot opening)
Yes you do not have to use the AK supplied seats, but you will need to ensure the alternative seats comply for passing the IVA testing.
Yes this is no problem. We can adapt any of the AK standard chassis’ to accommodate an automatic gearbox. We have a local company that can fit a hand control system to the car, we also allow for a few modifications for purposes of access and carriage of a wheel chair.
AK 427 WITH HAND CONTROLS FITTED
Yes you do not have to use the AK recommended halibrand replicas, but you will need to ensure that you have the correct offsets in order to pass the IVA testing requirements.
Once you have placed your kit order and have a date to aim for, the following are your build steps:
- Recondition/Service your Jaguar donor parts
- Fit Brake, clutch and fuel lines
- Fit front suspension
- Fit rear suspension
- Fit engine and gearbox
- Make/fit exhaust system
- Fit radiator and plumbing
- Fit heater, pedal box and master cylinder to body
- Body on
- Fit all brightwork
- Remove brightwork and paint
- Fit wiring loom
- Re- fit all brightwork
- Carpet and fit interior
- Wire dash, fit dash and finish wiring
- Fit wheels
- IVA test and register the car.